Another Friday, another baking opportunity 🙂 This week, some sugary ‘doughnut’ muffins. This is a Nigella recipe!
Jam Doughnut Muffins (makes 12) Original recipe here
- 125ml milk
- 85ml corn or other vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g self raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 12 tsps seedless raspberry jam
- 100g unsalted butter
- 150g granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas mark 5.
- Grease a 6-bun muffin tin or put cases in a 12 mini muffin tin
- With a fork, beat together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla extract. Stir this into the flour and caster sugar to just combine: the lumps don’t matter and overbeating leads to tough muffins.
- Spoon the mixture into each muffin cup so that it’s just under a third full.
- Then with a teaspoon add a dollop of raspberry jam and top wth more muffin mix so that the cases are just about full.
- Put them in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until the tops feel springy and resistant and the muffins have puffed up.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter slowly in a thick-bottomed pan, and pour the sugar into a wide, shallow bowl. As soon as the muffins are ready, remove them from their moulds, dip them in the butter and roll in the granulated sugar.