I wanted to make some hummus for tea – but going Carribean in style rather than your standard lemon-garlic-tahini combination. This meant I needed lots of lime juice… but what to do with the zest?
I don’t think these are really, properly macaroons. But they turned out closer to that than to “cookies” or “biscuits”…
Makes 10 macaroons
- 125g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150g golden granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 100g plain flour
- 25g semolina
- Zest of 3 limes
- 75g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with silicon baking parchment.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat well to combine.
- Stir in the lime zest.
- Add the flour, semolina and coconut and stir well.
- Form into small balls and place on the baking parchment. Squash down a little to flatten.
- Bake for 10 minutes until toasted golden.
- Place the cookies on a wire rack to cool.