These should really be called ‘very grumpy chocolate muffins’ – I made them in something of a strop as my Ocado order has had to be cancelled tonight. They were going to be quite different but I ended up needing to buy supplies from the corner shop so they’re a celebration of Dairy Milk rather than the grown-up, sophisticated, orange and dark chocolate gourmet treats I had planned – oh well. They seem to have turned out reasonably well…
Triple Chocolate Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 200 grams plain flour
- 25 grams cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 115 grams golden caster sugar
- 200g bar of Dairy Milk chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 225 ml milk
- 36 chocolate buttons
- Preheat the oven to 200oc/400of/Gas Mark 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with double muffin paper cases.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and the chopped up chocolate.
- Place the eggs and oil in a separate bowl and whisk until frothy, then gradually whisk in the milk. Stir into the dry ingredients until just blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, filling each three-quarters full.
- Stud the mixture with 3 buttons per case. These will melt and form an extra chocolate-y layer on the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then remove the muffins and cool on a wire rack.
(Original recipe, as used before, from here.)