I’m not sure where from, but I came down with a bad case of sadness over the weekend. It was so sudden in onset and so unexpected that it really was like catching a cold – fine in the morning, lacrymose and mournful by the afternoon, really wretched and horrible 24 hours later. Lacking a Lemsip for self-indulgent moping, I baked these instead. I feel better now.
- 125g butter
- 125g muscovado sugar
- 5 tbsps golden syrup
- Splash vanilla essence
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 200g porridge oats – I used the ‘jumbo’ ones for a change
- 100g sultanas
- Pre-heat oven to 190.
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup together in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Grease a 22cm square cake tin – I used the one usually employed for Rocky Road.
- When the butter has melted and the sugar no longer in giant rock-hard lumps, stir in the vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, oats and sultanas.
- Stir mightily – it will be a bit like mixing concrete.
- Deposit the resulting mass into the tray and press down firmly with a spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then score into 12 pieces. Cool completely and refrigerate overnight.
- Use any implements to hand to pry the chilled slices out of the tray. Come to regret using a non-stick tray!