A quick bake for the roleplayers this week – I wanted to make something cake-y and spice-y, and remembered I had a jar of interesting fruit in syrup in the fridge. So, this was invented/adapted/born…
Spiced Peach Cupcakes
- 95g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 70g caster sugar
- 50g ground almonds
- 70g butter , softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 120g peaches – I used ones from a jar where they’d been snuggled up with a cinnamon stick
For the streusel topping
- 45g Demerara sugar
- 20g ground almonds
- 25g butter , softened
- 4 tbsp flaked almonds
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with deep paper cases or a 15-hole bun tin with cake cases.
- Tip all the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat for 1-2 mins until light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 18-20 mins (add a couple of extra mins for deep cases), until golden brown and firm to the touch. Leave to cool.
- Beat together the icing sugar, butter and raspberry jam to make a light, fluffy icing.
(Based on this original recipe)