This is something of a hand-me-down recipe! From ‘Grandma Edna’ to Sam Wollastone to Paul Hollywood to Kath and then finally to me! I’ve made some changes along the way today, notably the addition of the caramel to the apples to turn it into a toffee apple cake. This smells absolutely heavenly – rich and buttery and warm with almond essence and bright with apples and sweet and cinnamon and spicy.
Never mind that I really shouldn’t be baking at all today, it being one of the “2” days in the 5:2 diet. Oh well. It’ll taste even better tomorrow with all those lovely spices, I’m sure.
Toffee Apple Cake (original recipe here)
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ginger
- 50g sultanas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 140g butter (melted)
- 400g apples (I used cooking, peeled and sliced)
- Half a tin of carnation caramel
- Sprinkle of demerara sugar
- Put the flour, baking powder, spices, sultanas and sugar in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs and almond essence together, and stir this, along with melted butter, into the bowl.
- Spread half in a greased cake tin, cover with apples, dollop on the caramel, then cover with rest of mixture. Sprinkle demerara sugar on top.
- Bake at 150C for 1 hour 15 minutes or until nicely crusty.
- Allow to cool in the tin before sealing safely in a tin until tomorrow comes around…